Graz Crematorium Fire - 440 Pound Corpse Too Large? Fat Sparks Blaze
The Graz Crematorium in Austria caught fire and burned and the cause of the fire is being blamed on a female corpse weighing 440 pounds.
According to Gizmodo, the still remaining pounds of fat from the dead woman's body sizzled in the oven and caused the inside of the crematorium to rise as high as 300C (572F) and sparked the blaze.
The Christian Post reveals that the crematorium's managers say that their facility was not designed to withhold that much weight or body fat and concerned citizens are asking that new measures be taken to prevent such accidents from happening.
Funeral director Christea Bogdan of Gillman Undertakers, Tooting, south London, said he had never before heard of such an event in his entire career, reports the Digital Spy of London.
"We do have large bodies that we have to deal with, which weigh 30+ stone, but not very often. We follow the same procedures as usual for large bodies. We have to check the size in the crematorium to check the person in the coffin will fit in the crematorium," he said.
According to Fox News, fires caused by fat from obese bodies overheating the crematorium oven have also been reported in Switzerland and Germany.
Got an opinion? Share your thoughts now.